European Travel Skills Part I

In this first of three shows covering travel skills, we’ll visit the Netherlands and Germany to learn about transportation by train and car within Europe, changing money, and settling in upon arrival. How well you’re able to enjoy the delights of Europe depends upon how well you plan and how skillfully you travel.

© 2012 Rick Steves’ Europe

1. 1oldmariner says:

I was born and lived in the Netherlands, I married an Italian, lived in Italy, the Netherlands and London. I traveled extensively throughout Europe and the UK. Rick could pass as a citizen of all the countries he visits. He really "gets into it." Absolutely the BEST travel guide, ever.

2. Harley RUIZ says:

Mr. Steves!!1 for many years I have read and used your travel guides, and now in this new decade I am watching on youtube, all your videos!!! Thank you for all your work, you have made me THE GUIDE of the group!! For ever, happy travels!

3. Thanks so much for posting 🙂

4. Excellent & very informative. I'll take your tour from now on Steve!

5. Nice, but you should update your Map of Europe dude 😉

6. Fjolner I says:

Is that really your only backpack for the travel of all these countries? :O

7. Hannoi says:

He has such a calm personality.

8. The most loving man Rick sir ji

9. Mark Sykes says:

Germany is beautiful! Greetings from your Dutch neighbour!

10. Lee and Mel says:

That's what i'm talking about!

11. rrkm163 says:

great work.. thanks.. 🙂

12. I love Rick Steves. He's certainly inspired me to travel and start my own travel blog!

13. Neva says:

Hi Mr Steves! I'd just like to say thank you for uploading these online!!!!
    I love watching your show on PBS but when I came to college I didn't have a TV, so now I watch you on my phone and it makes me feel right at home when I'm homesick! You're such a great speaker. I love traveling and I love how simple you make everything! My family is going to Spain in the summer for a cruise and then a little adventure, and I'm looking forward to whipping out all these top tips and impressing my parents!
    You're such an inspiration to me and so sweet and kind! Thank you Rick Steves!

14. Edward says:

I notice you carry a backpack, is that all you carry as far a luggage or do you have airport check ins and a carry on. I just got back from Paris France, I was there for only 4 days and used just one small hard shell carryon and a messenger bag got me through the four days. I have not used airport check in luggage yet, just carry ons. I suppose that would change if I was staying longer. Since I am single I travel solo.

15. The 5 Ways says:

You are absolutely what I was looking for. I've been using vlogs to get European info on the essentials, like money, hotels, travel, etc…But they only cover the "good" stuff of their travel. You on the other hand, have presented exactly what I wanted, and helped me learn more before my travel. Thank You Very Much For This!

16. asianinky says:

I'm really enjoying your videos. They're giving me the push I needed to go out and travel more!! Thank you!!!

17. thu huong ho says:

I dream of being there one day

18. Ma St says:

Most rental cars in europe are stick-shift.. if you want an automatic one, you have to book one! and the german rail-company abolished the night-trains recently!

19. HowTube says:

Great you travelled Europe! Going to travel a little bit more of Europe soon.

20. so hahaha it seems that you didn't want to visit Belgium :')

21. vibrant 84 says:

2good and most helpfull.

22. Justin Noker says:

so one question, i've heard of Tourists taking their own vehicles with them, and a friend of mine has confirmed this by spotting an Escalade with New york plates on it, would it be possible for someone to explain this? or at least link me a video of someone doing this?

23. danger101s says:

DON'T EVER take a cab in Amsterdam, trust me, cab drivers ask way to much. People get intimidated to pay prices like 980,50 (!) euros here. You better take the public transport instead.

24. I found this video really helpful! Thank you!

25. Joona Lahti says: